Saturday 5 November 2011

The Pianist

I'm not quite sure what possessed me to watch this film at the end of an incredibly long and difficult week. It's certainly not the most cheery on the list, or one where you can just switch off.

I had in fact forgotten just how emotional this film was, so much so that I regretted starting to watch it while my pizza was getting delivered - it really isn't the sort of film you can stuff your face during.

I've spent a fair bit of time over the last few months discussing the Holocaust, and I even went on a trip to Auschwitz back in September. Which makes this film all the more harder to watch, when you see where Szpilman could have ended up, and perhaps brings home exactly how hard life must have been for the Jewish Poles in 1940s.

The film is beautifully made. Polanski has made a film that has managed to stay away from the Hollywood cliches that have dogged many of the historical movies on this list, and indeed off this list. Perhaps my favourite thing about this movie is Adrien Brody, who is so unbelievably deserving of his Oscar - his portrayal of Szpilman is just captivating.

For me perhaps the only surprising thing with this film is that it doesn't break into the Top50, and perhaps more surprising has an Arnold Schwarzenegger film above it!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment