Saturday 15 October 2011

Pulp Fiction

There is something wrong with Quentin Tarantino. The guy is certifiable.

That may sound like a damning indictment of his work, but I am actually quite a big fan, and he is one of the few directors whose films I would actually look out for.

Pulp Fiction is made doubly better by the presence of both Samuel L Jackson and John Travolta, and (rather disappointingly) the smallest cameo ever of Steve Buscemi.

Tarantino's skill is in creating some very smart dialogue. For me however his real strength is in creating some very believable characters - which considering we are talking about gangsters in both Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction and the Bride in Kill Bill is no mean feat. I love the way in which he builds his characters, even bit part characters like the Zed and Maynard get some development.

For me this is a film that should be safely in the Top 100, and I think its spot a number 5 is probably fair. It's not a film that I could watch again and again but it is one that is eminently enjoyable every time I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment