Thursday 20 October 2011

The Lives of Others

I really haven't been in the mood to watch this movie. I got it through the post about three weeks ago as my latest Lovefilm/Tesco offering, and I have found other things to do instead.

I'm not quite sure what it is about films in a foreign language, but they have a fairly negative reaction in me. That feeling is particularly strange because as yet I don't think I have seen a film in a foreign language that I thought was shit, yet every time I get offered such a movie a feeling of dread stirs up inside me.

Yet again I have been proven to be wrong about this.

Like many of the books I read last year the blurb seems to be written by either a complete moron or by someone who has never actually watched the film, and I think it was partly this that put me off watching the movie for so long. The blurb does the film no justice, it is quite simply one of the most beautiful films I have seen yet in this Top 100.

Yeah it does have quite a slow start, and it doesn't exactly hide what is going to happen in the end, but the way in which the film is constructed is just captivating. As the truth is revealed to Dreyman in the last 15 minutes you can't help but be caught in the emotion.

This is without a doubt one of the best films I have seen so far in this challenge, the story is beautiful, the acting is superb although what probably tops it all off is the soundtrack.

This is without a doubt a must see.

No comments:

Post a Comment