Wednesday 4 January 2012

The Third Man

I put off writing this the other day because I needed time to think about the movie. Truthfully I still need time to think about it, and perhaps someone to explain to me why this is regarded as one of the top 100 movies.

People talk about the Third Man as though it is a masterpiece in suspense, something that will leave you guessing and questioning throughout the movie. I'm not saying there was no suspense, but it was hardly the edge of the seat thriller that I would expect from the greatest of its kind - heck I think Finding Nemo had more suspense in it!

The film is fairly straight forward. A guy arrives in post-WWII Vienna to find the person who invited him there to be dead. He spends the rest of the movie trying to find out what happened to him against the wishes of everyone else, and on top of that he falls in love with his friends girl (although she does not reciprocate). There are a couple of twists along the way, but I don't think I feel enough for the characters to care what happens to them.

Which means after two Orson Welles movies I have yet to find one that makes me say wow. In fact for both of them I have found them a little bit disappointing. As I said last time maybe I am just not enough of a cinema buff to appreciate his talents.

No comments:

Post a Comment